Tips for presenting:
- Smile and exude confidence, even if you don’t feel it.
- Practice, practice, practice!!
- To relax, ask the audience questions and have a ‘conversation’ with them before you begin with the presentation
- Know and engage your audience- Information is great but people tend to lose focus after listening to facts for extended periods of time. To take a break from the facts, engage your audience with a story to wake them up and keep them interested. A story every 10-15 minutes will keep your audience listening.
- Bring it! Do as much research on your topic of presentation as you possibly can
- Attend other presentations to get tips of how to do presentations and learn from their mistakes
- Know your material and do not rely on your slides
Tips for creating amazing presentations
- Limit the number of words used on slides (use keywords only). People cannot read and listen simultaneously- while they are reading the text on the slides their attention shifts from what are saying
- Make use of attention-grabbing relevant pictures and diagrams- Keeps the audience interested and say more than words do
- Use colour cautiously
- Use an appropriate font size
- Make use of MS PowerPoint add-ons to enhance your slides