Ideas are everywhere! All you have to do is keep an open mind and look. Although this sounds simple, it isn’t always the case. Here are some tips you can use:
- Consult the Institutional research themes.
- Consult your Faculty or Department's webpage for their specific research focus areas. It is essential that you know your field as well as the types of research conducted within your field of study. You can also explore related fields.
- Search for trending topics in your field of study, for example, by doing a Google search on Trending or hot topics in synthetic organic chemistry or browsing through sites such as ScienceDirect, Thomson Reuter's Science Watch, Science Daily and Ted Talks. These tools and many other sources can help you get some ideas of what to conduct research on.
- Have a brain storming session with colleagues and/or lecturers.
- Attend conferences, Departmental seminars and workshops to get the creative juices flowing.
- You can also explore your ideas by drawing mind maps.